Trying to stay healthy has never been more important as we head in to the winter months. Some of THE most important things you can do to keep yourself healthy this season are not even being discussed in the news! You have heard them, you know them and they are simple strategies, but so many of us get in a hurry and seem to forget. So I am here to remind you!
1. Wash your hands. And do it the RIGHT way. Use soap (can you tell I am a mom of all boys), wash for at least 20 seconds (yes that seems like forever, but it is not), and do it often. It is the most effective way to prevent the spread of germs. Cannot get to a sink? Use some OnGuard Hand Sanitizing Mist until you can get to a sink to properly wash.
2. Don't touch your face. If you have to, make sure your hands are clean (see tip 1) and for goodness sakes keep your fingers out of your mouth! That is for all of you nail-biters out there (LOL). Wearing a mask? Try not to touch it as best you can!
3. Get a good night's sleep. 7-9 hours is best. Try to go to sleep at the same time each night also to keep your body rhythms on track. Be sure to get off your computer and your phone 2 hours before bed or use a blue light filter. Blue light signals your brain that it is time to wake up. This is NOT the message you want to send to your brain right before bedtime. Trouble shutting down your "thinker" at night? Try a little Serenity on the bottom of your big toe (brain reflex point) or put 2-3 drops in your diffuser.
4. Stop Eating Refined Sugar. I know it is not easy, but it is SO worth it! Eating refined sugar feeds the bad bacteria in your gut (Candida) which means it takes over. When the bad bacteria out-numbers the good bacteria the system cannot fight hard enough to protect you against those nasty seasonal threats. Want something sweet? Try something made with natural sugar (fruit, honey, or maple syrup).
5. Exercise. Just like eating a healthy diet, exercise is good for general good health and therefore leads to a healthy immune system. It also contributes directly to immunity by promoting healthy circulation, which allows our cells and substances in our immune system to move through the body freely and do their jobs. Get outside too. Just bundle up and get moving outdoors. The fresh air and sunshine are so good for you and it will boost your mood as well!
6. Take your vitamins. It is nearly impossible to get all of the vitamins and nutrients we need in our food sources these days. Because much of our food is genetically modified, grown in nutrient-deficient soil, and over-processed, even some of the healthiest eaters could use a little boost. doTERRA's Life Long Vitality pack not only contains all of the vitamins and nutrients you need to help you stay healthy, there are lots of other good things in these supplements to help you sleep better, have more energy and decrease your aches & pains.
7. Manage stress. If old-man-winter has you feeling blue, be sure to diffuse some citrus essential oils EVERY DAY! My favorite diffuser from doTERRA is the ROAM diffuser because it has a re-chargeable base and I can charge it at night while I diffuse in the bedroom, then take it out in the kitchen in the morning to start the day with a smile. Take some deep diaphragmatic breaths every day too along with your favorite essential oil to help lift your mood. Breathing essential oils directly is the fastest way to influence mood and change the chemicals/hormones throughout your brain and body.
This is what I am doing this winter to try to stay healthy. Comment below on your favorite strategies to stay healthy and happy throughout the winter months. I would love to hear from you!