Spring is here! This is my favorite time of year. After a long winter of hibernation, it is finally time to emerge from within and embark on new adventures! The sunshine and blue skies beckon us to go outside and breathe in all that nature has to offer. Are you ready for it? Ready for buds on trees, green grass, birds chirping, flowers blooming, breezes blowing and longer days? I certainly am!! But Spring-time weather can bring challenges too, especially if blooming plant life results in watery eyes and drippy (and sneezy) noses for you or those you love. Essential oils offer the most natural and effective ways to combat some of these seasonal threats, so I put together my top 10 essential oils for Spring.
1. Lavender: Did you know lavender is the Swiss-army knife of essential oils? It is good for just about anything that ails you! But in the Spring, it doesn't get any better than lavender essential oil. You can rub a drop under your nose and on the back of your neck before you head out outside to help seasonal threats. You can also use it after a long day of gardening to soothe your red skin if you stayed out too long. If you are gardening and find yourself scratched up from your raspberry plants or get a bee sting or bug bite it will soothe your irritated skin as well!
2. Breathe: This proprietary blend of essential oils from dōTERRA includes Laurel Leaf, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Melaleuca, Lemon, Cardamom, Ravintsara, and Ravensara which makes it GREAT for seasonal threats also. Partner this with Lavender and you have an amazing combination that is sure to stop your sneezing and watery eyes in their tracks! I like to rub a drop or 2 on my chest with a little carrier oil before going outside to work in the garden to keep my airways open. It is also great to diffuse this time of year if there are many people in your house dealing with seasonal threats.
Whether you love spring cleaning or hate it, lemon is the oil for you this spring!! If you love
to roll up your sleeves and get to work cleaning out cupboards and scrubbing floors and windows, then lemon can be your best friend!! Lemon is amazing to help you de-grease and de-gunk all of your most difficult cleaning projects. It is no wonder it is dōTERRA's top-selling oil. I have put together a handout with all of my favorite cleaning recipes too. Just CLiCK HERE
and scroll to the bottom of the page for a link to the recipes. What? You hate
to clean? No problem! Just diffuse some lemon essential oil and your home will smell like you just cleaned and it is a toxin-free way to make your house smell like a fresh, spring breeze!
4. Deep Blue: Another proprietary blend from dōTERRA, Deep Blue is a blend of oils to soothe your achy muscles after a long day in the garden, following your first big walk outside, or a full day of spring cleaning. Deep Blue is a blend of Wintergreen, Camphor, Peppermint, Ylang Ylang, Helichrysum, Blue Tansy, Blue Chamomile, and Osmanthus all working together to soothe and cool your muscles. Use a little carrier oil (like fractionated coconut oil) and a drop or two of Deep Blue and rub your sore muscles for instant relief.
The first nice days of Spring find me grabbing a large glass of iced tea or lemonade! One of my favorite spring and supper drinks is Basil-Mint Lemonade.
It is just the perfect blend to offer a refreshing boost in the middle of the day. The syrup in this recipe can be used in lemonade OR iced tea for a satisfying spring and summer beverage. Spearmint is GREAT for the digestive system too and is more mild than peppermint of ginger which makes it my oil of choice for any digestive upset.
6. Basil: Yes, you will need Basil for the above mentioned recipe, but you will also want to keep Basil essential oil on hand this Spring because it is great for relieving tension and also diminishing the after effects of muscle soreness following a long day of work. Rub a little basil on your lower back and neck BEFORE going outside to work in the yard and not only will it help provide tension relief to your muscles, it will also help to keep flies and mosquitos at bay. Basil is a one to keep on hand for sure this spring!!
7. Terrashield: Speaking of bugs, when it is time to get outside, it is always time for TerraShield Outdoor Blend! No matter where Spring takes you, you’ll want to have TerraShield on hand. TerraShield is a proprietary blend of Ylang Ylang Flower, Tamanu Seed, Nootka Wood, Cedarwood Wood, Catnip Plant, Lemon Eucalyptus Leaf, Litsea Fruit, Vanilla Bean Absolute, Arborvitae Wood and is a very effective and safe barrier for you and your family against outdoor threats. The natural repellent properties of this blend will keep you comfortable outside whether you are at the ball field, mowing the lawn, or walking in the woods.
8. Blue Tansy: This oil is AMAZING!! The soothing nature of this oil makes it beneficial for so many things. It pairs well with Lavender to help you breathe free and clear before going outside. It also helps ease aching muscles after a long day's work and it works beautifully on the skin to keep you looking radiant and healthy all Spring long. I like to put a drop in my facial lotion before bed because it is calming and helps my skin look great. I also like to use it in the diffuser (it blends well with Geranium, Clary Sage, Petitgrain, Lavender, Juniper Berry, Spearmint, and Ylang Ylang) because it has a fun, fruity aroma!!
9. Roman Chamomille: With the increased activity in Spring plus the longer days, I always find the change makes it difficult for me to calm down at the end of the day to sleep. Diffusing Roman Chamomille or rubbing on the bottoms of your feet following a long day can be very calming allowing you to get the deep night's sleep you deserve! Roman Chamomille is such a lovely aroma too! It works great in the diffuser, blending well with dōTERRA's Balance essential oil and also Bergamot. You can also put a drop in your tea which also provides a nice boost to the immune system!
10. OnGuard: Speaking of the immune system, this blend is a power house to offer immune support to your system this spring. OnGuard essential oil includes Wild Orange, Clove, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, and Rosemary to offer a power house for your body. It provides anti-oxidant support and offers a healthy immune response in your body. It can also be used in your DIY cleaning products as a natural, effective, non-toxic cleaner. Definitely a "must-have" in your home for every season, including Spring!
Do you have a favorite essential oil that helps you during the transition to spring? Or have a favorite diffuser recipe or oil hack you want to share? I would love to hear your stories and tips!! Please share below.